5/11/13

The Dove and the Scrooge


Dove ads.   How nice  for a company to  notice that "we" aren't all alike. Tall, short, a little more round, and a little less, etc. , we don't come from a mold nor does one size fit all.

While growing up, I worried  over every spot and blemish, every protrusion of fat or lack thereof,  especially on the important womanly parts.  I didn't think anyone would want me with those this's and that's because I  didn't measure up to what I saw in the ads or on television.


It took me a long time to understand that people aren't made to look like a magazine ad.  

I still carry a few injustices because I'm not thin, and now because I'm not as young as I used to be, and a little because I don't look like I used to, 5'9  135 lbs. ( I know the 135 will never happen again, it wasn't healthy)  

  I know there are a zillion more feeling very similar  and because of that I salute Dove

  Recently on Facebook  I read an article about the CEO of Abercrombie and Fitch.

(Here is an excerpt from the article ( click on the above link).

Most retailers in the United States carry clothing sizes from 0-14, whether in-store or online. Most recently, The Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy and a few others even go beyond a size 14 in women’s clothing.  But don’t expect that to happen at Abercrombie & Fitch.
Want to know why?
Abercrombie & Fitch’s CEO, Michael Jefferies, doesn’t like fat chicks and doesn’t want them to ruin his brand.  ( and that isn't all)

He is definitely the flip side to the coin and throwing stones isn't  going to help. The only way he' going to change his attitude for his business, is for him to change his heart. So I suppose the only way to send a message to him is  for the "skinny beautiful people" to boycott him.  A plump or ugly person wouldn't matter too much... I'm sorry, I find this absolutely pathetic  and laughable. 




But it's probably true.  Mr. Man needs to take a Scrooge tour and get real because at no time in history was anyone or will anyone be everything HE wants.  It's unrealistic.  Those he surrounds himself with now or employs will ever remain perfect. People change, even the beautiful ones.  And how can he actually be a good business man if he looses money (this happens in many stores I'm sure) probably every day when people of all sizes walk out the door empty handed.
 When there is a Hitler mentality of perfection  it will always sit next to  imperfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Confetti would be nice - a comment even better.
Either one is greatly appreciated.