6/2/12

Switching Lanes

I was baking cupcakes for the last week of school today, I know I've said before, I'd rather give my attention to one cake instead of 40 individual ones, if I had to do that for a living I'd have to stick my finger in my eye frequently.

Lately my passion falls on creating icons in Illustrator.  I'm planning a website to sell them and compiling quite a variety at this point.


I've been on an old movie kick, the last few days I've watched for the zillionith time my Sherlock Holmes with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, an old Nancy Drew from the 40s,and Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour, from My Favorite Brunette.
(I can't believe they had the movie on YouTube)


I just switched from old classics to newer but not recent, High Fidelity, I have no idea why I like that movie but I do.
 The only reason is possibly, because I hung around with friends who could tell you who wrote it or sung it in the first few bars of the song which carried quite a load of snobbery.


Memorable quotes from the movie "High Fidelity"
    Barry's Customer: Hi, do you have the song "I Just Called To Say I Love You?" It's for my daughter's birthday.
Barry: Yea we have it.   
    Barry's Customer: Great, Great, can I have it?
    Barry: No, no, you can't.
    Barry's Customer: Why not?
    Barry: Well, it's sentimental tacky crap. Do we look like the kind of store that sells I Just Called to Say I Love You? Go to the mall.
          ***************************************************
      Rob: I can't fire them. I hired these guys for three days a week and they just started showing up every day. That was four years ago.
          **************************************************
Louis: I don't have that record... I'll buy it for forty.
Rob: Sold.
Louis: Now why would you sell it to me and not to him?
Barry: Because you're not a geek,Louis.
Louis: You guys are snobs.
Dick: No, we're not.
Louis: Yeah, seriously, you're totally elitist. You feel like the unappreciated scholars, so you shit onto people who know lesser than you.
Rob, Barry, Dick: No! Louis: Which is everybody...
Rob, Barry, Dick: Yeah...
Louis: That's so sad.
(Unfortunately, along with snobbery comes a potty mouth...beware of language)



          ********************************************
Barry, you're over thirty years old. You owe it to your mum and dad not to sing in a group called Sonic Death Monkey.”
― Nick Hornby, High Fidelity
         ***********************************************
I'm picky about movies.  It has to be a feel good, funny, or shoot'emupkill'em dead movie.  I don't like extreme blood and guts, don't like to sit and cry...I don't like to be scared out of my next week shorts and I don't like anything that I could read in a newspaper.  Usually, most of the stuff my friends trot off to see are the things I won't.  I love British Comedy and humor, love the whodunit movies and nice murder.  Same with my books.
Anyways...moving on....

Speaking of cupcakes, I was going to whip them up at a friends tomorrow while helping out with the animals and kicking back by the pool, but I received an urgent call this morning.
I'll be watching 5 and yes I said 5 kids, ages 3-10.
 I'll let you know if I'll poke out my other eye. In the meantime, I'll be helping to raise a village, which could wind up a movie.   Fortunately, I won't be doing this alone, a teenager is  helping me out, most gratefully.

I've learned from my own kids to be prepared so I bought some sidewalk chalk, mega bubbles, got the noodles for the pool, books, and crazy 8's card game.  My intent is to wear them out all day, but this could also backfire.

If nothing else, I won't be bored, which I may have said a time or two in the past month.

 Be careful what you pray for.

1 comment:

  1. I rather liked "High Fidelity" myself, and my tastes tend more toward older film comedies. The scene you quoted (the first one) had me roaring.

    ReplyDelete

Confetti would be nice - a comment even better.
Either one is greatly appreciated.