10/2/09

Happy Birthday

Today is or was Groucho Marx's birthday...October 2, 1890...imagine that! Go ahead and laugh in the face of ridiculousness...and while you're at it...wish GM a HB! Now go and have a bowl of

Although Groucho Marx started his film career in the silent movie era, he earned his fame far before his movie stardom. Groucho Marx and his brothers became popular after their Broadway play "I'll Say She Is." With the success of this play, Groucho Marx became well known as a cigar smoking comedian, with a fake bushy mustache. As his popularity grew, he became even more famous for his rib-tickling one-liners. If you enjoy humorous quotes, Groucho Marx can make you chuckle with delight.

Groucho Marx
I read in the newspapers they are going to have 30 minutes of intellectual stuff on television every Monday from 7.30 to 8.00 to educate America. They couldn't educate America if they started at 6:30.

Groucho Marx
I won't belong to any organization that would have me as a member.

Groucho Marx
Do you think I could buy back my introduction to you?

Groucho Marx
Don’t look now but I think there’s one too many is this room right now, and I think it’s you.

Groucho Marx
I started smoking as soon as I went on the stage. I'd make cigars out of the Morning World when I was a kid.

Groucho Marx
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.

Groucho Marx
If he [Chico] made ten thousand dollars a day, he'd spend ten thousand dollars a day. I don't mind that. What I do mind is that he still sleeps better than I do.

Groucho Marx
If he's been married for 31 years, he's not the same man.

Groucho Marx
If I held you any closer I would be on the other side of you.

Groucho Marx
If women dressed for men, the stores wouldn't sell much -- just an occasional sun visor.

Groucho Marx
If you fall out of that window and break both your legs, don't come running to me.

Groucho Marx
Money cannot buy you happiness, and happiness cannot buy you money. That might be a wise crack, but I doubt it.

Groucho Marx
Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.

Groucho Marx
My brother thinks he's a chicken - we don't talk him out of it because we need the eggs.

Groucho Marx
My favorite poem is the one that starts 'Thirty days hath September' because it actually tells you something.

Groucho Marx
My mother loved children - she would have given anything if I had been one.

Groucho Marx
It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be unhappy.

Groucho Marx
Middle age is when you go to bed at night and hope you feel better in the morning. Old age is when you go to bed at night and hope you wake up in the morning.

Groucho Marx
Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms.

Groucho Marx
It's [L.A.] a wonderful city. If they'd lower the taxes and get rid of the smog and clean up the traffic mess, I really believe I'd settle here until the next earthquake.

Groucho Marx
I've been around so long, I knew Doris Day before she was a virgin.

Groucho Marx
I've been looking for a girl like you -- not you, but a girl like you

Groucho Marx
I've got the brain of a four year old. I'll bet he was glad to be rid of it.

Groucho Marx
Marriage is a wonderful institution... but who wants to live in an institution?

Groucho Marx
Oh! Are you from Wales? Do you know a fella named Jonah? He used to live in whales for a while.


1 comment:

Confetti would be nice - a comment even better.
Either one is greatly appreciated.